Please CLICK the Image to view and travel our Heritage Trail
The Hanney Collection
The following images of invitation cards were taken from the memorabilia of the late Mrs. Marie Hanney, Stowlin, Eyrecourt, (née Porter, Killimor). Access to these souvenirs was granted through the courtesy of her son Vincent Hanney.
Come Dancing in Killimor!
These invitations were issued for four different causes. It will be noted that two were printed by Kelly’s, Loughrea and the other two by “Democrat” Printing Works, Ballinasloe. Each committee, very politely, presented their compliments to the recipients!
The Honorary Secretaries of Killimor Branch of I.T. & G. W. U. (Irish Transport and General Workers’ Union) invited Miss Whelan to their dance in Killimor Sinn Féin Hall on Easter Sunday Night, April 20th, 1919. Dancing began at 9p.m and the admission charge was 3s. for Gents and 2s. for Ladies.
Mr. & Miss Whelan and friends were requested to attend Killimor Temperance Dance in Killimor Temperance Hall on Sunday Night 27th April (no year given). This dance cost Gents 4/-, Ladies 3/- and a couple or Double 6/6. Dancing commenced at 8.30 o’clock, sharp. The Honorary Secretaries of the Committee were Thos. O’Meara, M.A. Brody and Michael Dolan.
Tom Ryan and Joe O’Hara, Hon. Secs. of Killimor Social Dance Committee, requested Mr. & Miss Whelan, Derradda, and friends, to attend their dance in the Hall, Killimor, on Easter Sunday Night, April 24th, 1920. Dancing at 8.30 p.m. with Select Music, Gents’ tickets cost 4s. 6d. and Ladies’ tickets were 3s. 6d.
On Sunday, 19th October, 1924, a dance was to be held in aid of the Parochial Hall. The invitation was sent to Mr. & Miss Whelan by the Hon. Secs. J. O’Meara and M. Dolan. Admission was 3/- for Gents and 2/- for Ladies and dancing began at 8 o’clock.
Killimor A.O.H. Dances
It is uncertain when a branch of the Ancient Order of Hibernians was established in Killimor or how extensive the membership was. Originally the aims of the Organisation were to counteract the hardships and persecutions endured by Catholics and to defend Gaelic values. As time went on, it appears that the aims of the Organisation had somewhat changed and it was regarded, in later times, as a co-operative society, with the emphasis on economics.
John Robinson, M.A. Brody and John Flannery were the Honorary Secretaries of the Killimor Branch circa 1918. They issued invitations to members of the Whelan family (and friends) to support their dance in the Hibernian Hall, on Sunday Night, April 14th, 1918 and again on September 8th (year not given). Dancing was to begin at 9 p.m. on both occasions and admission was 3s. for Gents and 2s. for Ladies. Both cards were printed by N.E. O’Carroll “Democrat” Printing Works, Ballinasloe.
Cumann na mBan Dances
Cumann na mBan was a republican organisation founded in Wynn’s Hotel, Dublin, in April 1914. Its main aim was to further the cause of Irish liberty and to organise Irish women in the furtherance of this object and its original programme stated unambiguously that it was the ‘ women’s section of the Irish Volunteers’. (Cumann na mBan: A Galway Perspective by Dr. Bernard Kelly in Cumann na mBan: County Galway Dimension, published in 2015 by Galway County Council). The members’ involvement in the 1916 Easter Rising included caring for the wounded, providing and cooking food, carrying messages and smuggling ammunition.
Records of the existance of a branch in Killimor could not be found but it is evident from these images that both Killimor, and its sister parish Tyranascragh, did their bit to help out financially.
In January 1919, the Tyranascragh Committee invited Miss E. Whelan and friends to their dance (in aid of Social Club) in the Sinn Féin Hall on Sunday Night, January 19th, 1919. A Gent’s ticket cost 3s. 6d. while a Lady’s was 2s. 6d. The Honorary Secretaries were M. K. Madden, M.A. Melody and M. Fahey.
In Killimor the President was K. Kearns, the Treasurer was S. Freyne and the Secretary was E. Canning. Their dance was to be held in the Sinn Féin Hall on Sunday Night November 30th, 1919. Admisssion was 3s. for a Gent’s ticket, 4s. for a Lady’s and a Double cost 7s. (this was strange as Gentlemen usually paid more than Ladies). Dancing was at 8. 30 with “Select Music”. The original recipient’s name seems to have been erased and the names Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Gready written in instead.
Sinn Féin Dances
The name Sinn Féin means “Us” or “We Ourselves”. The organisation was founded in the Rotunda, Dublin on 28th November 1905 by Arthur Griffith, and was “an umbrella organisation for all types of Irish Nationalism”. (www.askaboutireland.ie-notes/arthur-griffith).
A branch of the organisation was established in Killimor.
In January 1919 the Hon. Secs. T. Ryan, J. O’Hara and J. Conniffe, sent an invitation card to Mr. & Mrs. Whelan to attend a dance (in Aid of Local Club) on Sunday Night, January 5th, Dancing was to start at 8 p.m. in the Sinn Féin Hall. A Gent’s Ticket cost 3s. 6d. and a Lady’s cost 2s.
Mr. & Miss Whelan received a further invitation to a dance in the Sinn Féin Hall, Killimor, on Saturday Night, November 1st 1919. This time dancing was scheduled for 9 p.m. and the tickets were more expensive; a Gent’s ticket was now 5s. and a Lady’s was 4s.
The Committee of the Local Club organised dances to raise funds. Miss Nelly Whelan was invited to attend a Dance “in their hall on St. Patrick’s Night, 17th March, 1918”. Dancing was at 8 p.m. and a Gent’s ticket was 3/- while a Lady’s cost 2/-. The Hon. Secs. of the Committee were T. Ryan and J. O’Hara.
Killimor I.R.A. Dances
These invitation cards, to Killimore I.R.A. (Irish Republican Army) dances were sent out by the Committee, requesting the pleasure of the company of Mr. & Miss Whelan and friends in Killimore Hall.
One dance was scheduled for Thursday Night, 8th December but the year was not given. Dancing started at 8 p.m. and admission was 3/6 for Gents and 3/- for Ladies.
The second dance was to be held on Sunday Night, 25th September, 1921. This time the dancing began at 9 p.m. and the tickets were slightly more expensive; 4s. for Ladies, 5s. for Gents and a Double cost 8s. Both cards were printed by “Democrat”Printing Works, Ballinasloe.
Among the Hanney Collection were three invitation cards to dances in Lawrencetown. All three were printed by “Democrat” Printing Works, Ballinasloe.
One was issued for Saturday Night, December 8th, but the year was not given. A Single ticket cost 3s. 6d. and a Double was 6s.
The second card requested the pleasure of the company of Mr. J. Whelan and friends at the Lawrencetown Ladies’ Social Dance on Sunday, 2nd October, 1921. Admission cost Gents 4s. 6d., Ladies 3s. and Double was 7s.
Mr. Whelan and friends were invited once again by the Dance Committee to their dance “to be held in Aid of Temperance Hall, on Saturday Night, 5th November, 1921”. Dancing commenced at 9 o’clock and tickets for Ladies and Gents cost 2s. 6d. and 3s. 6d. respectively.
Included in the Collection were invitation cards from different areas.
Again Mr. J. Whelan and friends were requested to attend the Kylemore Dance to be held in Kylemore School on Easter Sunday Night, 27th March 1921, (in Aid of the East Galway Nursing Fund). A Single ticket cost 4s. 6d. and a Double was 6s. The Hon. Secs. of the Dance Committee were (Miss) H. Cunniffe and (Miss) K. Ryan.
A dance was advertised for Sunday Night, 30th December, 1923, to be held in Kiltormer School House and the proceeds were “in aid of Parochial House”. Dancing began at 9 o’clock, and tickets cost 6s. for a Double and 3s. 6d. for a Single.
An invitation card was sent to Mr. & Miss Whelan, Derrada, Killimor, requesting their company at a Dance (in aid of East Clare Election Fund) “to be held in Reinskea House, Whitegate, on Sunday, 29th, inst.” (month or year not known). This particular invitation was sent by the Hon. Secs. of the Whitegate Sinn Féin Committee – J. McDermott, R. Lucas and M. O’Brien. A Double ticket cost 6/- and a Single was 3/6.
The invitations to Mr. J. Whelan and friends continued to flow in from diverse sources. The Hon. Secs. of Boula Dance Committee – F.T. Royston, M. Horan and J. Morrissey requested their company at a dance in Boula School, on Sunday Night, 30th November, (year not given) “in aid of repairs of Boula Chapel”. Dancing commenced at 9 o’clock, sharp, and tickets cost 4/-, 3/- and a Double was 6/6. Note the hand-written message on the card – “Tell the Guards and Foleys, be sure & come and bring a few with you”.
Quansboro White Cross Dance was to be held in Raheen School on Sunday Night, 9th October, 1921, with dancing commencing at 8 o’clock. Tickets cost 4s. for a Lady, 5s. for a Gent and a Double was 8s. The music was supplied by Pipers Band.
The Hon. Secs. of Portumna Hurling Club, namely Tom Carthy, P.A. Meehan, John F. Quinn and J. Duddy and the Committee organised a Dance to be held in the Old Town Hall, on Sunday Night, February 22nd, 1925. Dancing was at 10 o’clock, sharp, and “Music by Special Orchestra”. Admission on this occasion was Gentlemen 7/6; Ladies 5/- and Double 11/-.
Special Musicians were engaged for the Raheen Dance to be held on Sunday Night, 8th February, 1925. Dancing was to begin at 7. 30. A Gent’s ticket was 4s. and a Lady’s ticket cost 3s. The cards, except that from Portumna Hurling Club, named the printers as “Democrat” Printing Works, Ballinasloe.
Jack’s Memories of Lisduff Mill
Lisduff Mill 1855
Jack Lowry of Carhoon, Tynagh, said that Jimmy Abbot, a Scotsman, who owned over two hundred acres and the big house on the land, built Lisduff Mill in 1855.
Change of Ownership
The Land Commission took over the land and mill and divided it up in 1918. At that time the value of the mill was £4,000. Pat Winters, who originally worked in Lisduff Mill, got the mill in 1918 and he subsequently sold it to Tom Glynn in 1921.
Use as a Corn Mill
It was always listed as a corn mill and so people from within a ten-mile radius, stretching from Power’s Cross to Moorefield to Limehill and to Portumna, brought corn to the mill to be ground. Oats was rolled and cracked for animal feed and ground into oaten meal for human consumption. Wheat was also ground into flour for human consumption. Barley was rolled or crushed for animal feed. The charges made were 2d. (two old pennies) per stone.
Making of Oaten Meal
To make oaten meal, corn had to be dried in the kiln, and then put through the mill to take off the hulls (shells). A fan overhead blew off the shells and it was then ready for collection. Fourteen stone was called one barrel. The miller himself assessed the quality of oats received and gave the best quantity of meal for the best oats.
Features of the Mill
Important features of the mill included the wheel, the engine, the kiln, the quern stone, the river, the sluice, the sluice gates and the pond. A plaque on the wall at the front of the mill is dated 1855.
As there wasn’t sufficient water coming through to generate power, an engine, to help in the process, was installed by Tom Glynn, in a galvanised house at the back of the mill. The kiln was used to dry corn from 11 am to 9 pm. Turf was the fuel used to generate the heat in the kiln. The pond was man-made, the workers being paid 2d. per day to store a supply of water.
The employees in this family-run business included Jack Lowry himself, Joe Mannion, Connie Lyons and many others. Jack earned nine shillings per week and could purchase a bottle of stout for 6d. and ten cigarettes for 6d. In 1937 he bought a suit of clothes for £3.10s.0d. and a pair of boots for eighteen shillings.
Johnny Lyons Recalls
Johnny Lyons, Ramore remembers that Lisduff Mill continued to operate until the 1970s. He recounts that great use was made of that mill, particularly from September to Christmas, when it was worked twenty four hours a day. Horses and carts, and asses and carts lined the road leading to the mill. Local people never had to wait as their corn was ground during the night.
Sadly the mill building has fallen into disuse since it ceased operating.
1916 Commemoration Ceremony: Killimor, March 27th, 2016
Killimor Scouts, with Ross Callanan carrying the Irish Flag, led the parade through the town, from St. Joseph’s Church to the Heritage Centre.
Outside the Heritage Centre, children, conducted by Nóirín Shiel, played some slow airs on tin whistles.
Martin Mooney, chairperson of the Killimor & District Development Society, introduced the ceremony.
Reveille and The Last Post were played by Ray McDonagh, who is a retired Army Sergeant.
The 1916 Proclamation of Independence was read by the Local County Councillor, Jimmy McClearn.
The Proclamation of Independence 1916
Fr. Kitching, P.P., Killimor was then invited to lay a wreath to commemorate all who died during the 1916 Easter period. The wreath laying was followed by a minutes silence.
Ronan Porter played a drum-roll while the flag was being raised by Scout Leader, Sinéad Dervan/Sammon.
The singing of the National Anthem, Amhrán na bhFiann, was led by Sinéad Treacy/Keane. The ceremony concluded with Paul Costello, Cloncona, playing and singing his own composition Commemorating Centenary
O’er the gentle swell of the Liffey
Clasped in green white and gold
A nation’s future was destined to unfold
Hopes and dreams echoed by hearts thud
Where Pearse proclaimed as he stood
Hold your head high
As our nation thrives
On the land of the emerald free
As our heart beats cry with glee
For the country that we love!
Since a century has passed
Our country is in peace at last
Birth to an independent free state
Nurturing love, peace, faith and race,
Because of those who proclaimed that day.
Trinity Church Killimor
The Church of Ireland, Killimor
In 1834 Lewis gave the number of Protestants in Killimor Bologue as seventy eight, and at that stage, Killimor Parish (for Protestant purposes) was a Vicarage in the Diocese of Clonfert, forming part of the Union of Dononaughta.
The book Inspiring Stones denotes that within the union, there was a Chapel of Ease at Eyrecourt Castle, and Divine Service was also held in a schoolhouse in the parish of Killimorbologue. The Ordnance Survey Map 1838, places a School House and a Petty Sessions Court House quite close to where Trinity Church was later sited. Perhaps the divine service was held in this School House. In order to serve the number of Protestants in the Parish at that time, Trinity Church was constructed. It is situated on the N65 road between Portumna and Loughrea at the end of the village of Killimor, and in its day was one of the smallest and most picturesque in the Diocese, being a Chapel-of-Ease to Eyrecourt church.
The Building of Trinity Church
Inspiring Stones states that the Church grounds ‘were kindly given by the Horseman family with the McVale family being instrumental in its construction’; the fine stone was reputedly transported from a quarry in Ballinasloe by horse and cart, by various families including McVales, Horsemans, Johnsons and Howards. However, The Western Star of Saturday January 24th 1863, in its article headed ‘Opening of Killimor Church’, states:
‘Built in a conspicuous place in the village, on a site granted by the Right Hon. Lord Dunsandle, (who in addition, generously contributed £15 towards its erection), it stands a pleasing monument of what can be done by the prayerful and harmonious action of a pastor and his people.In this same article the Church is described as being of Gothic design, built of the dark stone of the locality, ‘with quoins and dressings of the white limestone of Ballinasloe’.
The Opening Ceremony
The benches were simple and the roof open-stained and varnished. The chancel window was filled with stained glass which showed an open Bible and appropriate text, “The Lord is my Light”. The building of the Church was a labour of love with time, services and money all freely given. Messrs. Sanderson, Hardy and Watson are mentioned as working ‘nobly and successfully’ and worthy of note. Trinity Church, it appears, was opened on Wednesday 21st January, 1863, by the Bishop (un-named), who recited the Litany and afterwards preached an appropriate and touching sermon. His Lordship was listened to throughout with ‘intense interest and gratification’. The Service commenced with the singing of the 100th Psalm; Morning Service was read by Rev. T.H. Cross and the Lesson for the day was read by the Venerable The Archdeacon of Clonfert. After the opening ceremony a collection was made in aid of the building fund; the contribution, including that from people unable to attend, amounted to almost £17. The Bishop and clergy were then entertained by J.P. Watson, Esq., at Stowlin House.
Representative Church Body Correspondence
A letter from Dr. Raymond Refaussé, Librarian and Archivist in the Representative Church Body (RCB), Churchtown, Dublin, indicates that no records from Killimor have been transferred to the Library. Since Killimor was united with Dononaughta (Eyrecourt) it may not have had separate registers, and details of baptisms, marriages and burials may have been entered in the Eyrecourt registers. The Eyrecourt registers (baptisms 1738-1876, marriages 1738-1861 and burials 1738-1869) were destroyed in the fire in the Public Record Office of Ireland in 1922, and no copies of them are known to exist. Similarly no separate list of clergy for Killimor is available. Dr. Refaussé writes ‘we have no separate list of clergy for Killimor and I assume that the Church was served by the Clergy of Eyrecourt’. A search by the Revd. Alan Nevin through existing records in The Rectory, Banagher, also yielded negative results.
Clergymen Who Officiated at Services in Trinity Church
Norman Sinclair, Aughrim, provided the names of some clergymen who officiated at services in Trinity Church. They include Rev. Graham, Rev. Aldridge, Rev. Ford and Rev. McLarney. Norman also supplied names of families, and names of members of the RIC who worshipped at Trinity Church.
Some Members of the Congregation
Among the names are: Sub-Constable Henry Bowen Moriarty, (RIC, circa 1879) together with Jane and Margaret Emily Moriarty; Head-Constable Francis Gannon (RIC, about 1880) his wife Ellen and daughter Frances; Police Sergeant Daniel Clements (RIC, circa 1885) his wife Margaret and daughter Margaret Anne; Daniel Thompson Noble Clements was also a police sergeant in the RIC around 1888; The Doonan family, Johnston Doonan, (RIC, circa 1890) Annie and Alice Mary Maud Doonan; Isaac William Heatley and Lizzie Heatley (RIC, circa 1890); Thomas Shaw (RIC, circa 1900), Jane Florence Shaw and Deborah Shaw. Other families who attended service in Trinity Church were: Richard Johnston, Harriet Johnston and Arthur Johnston, who were farmers in the area about 1888 and 1889; Alfred Borraine Persse, Gladys Persse and Geraldine Florence Persse, Ormond View, Ballycrissane, 1899; Henry Edwin Thomas Sparling, Norah Maud Sparling and Matilda Sparling who were merchants in Killimor circa 1891; William Arthur Carr, who was a coachman in Hearnesbrook around 1898, together with George Keith and Mary Carr.
Local Memories of the Church
Despite the lack of official records, memories survive of services being held in Trinity Church at 8.30 am and 3pm on Sundays. As numbers dwindled, service was celebrated just once a month. During service, which lasted approximately one hour, prayers were recited, hymns sung, a sermon delivered and communion distributed. Communion consisted of ordinary bread, blessed and broken and placed on a silver plate. A silver cup contained the wine. The plate and the cup as well as lighted candles were put on the communion table which was covered with a white cloth and situated in front of the altar. During the last hymn a special plate was passed around for the collection – this money was used for the upkeep of the church. This small and compact Church contained pews, hymn-books, an organ and a lectern on which stood an ornate eagle. As far as is known no marriages or funeral services took place in Trinity Church. One burial is believed to have taken place in the church grounds, the body later being exhumed and interred elsewhere. Two of the Horsman children from Heathlawn were baptised in the church by Archdeacon Burrowes in 1954 and 1961. With the decline of Church of Ireland families in the area, it was no longer feasible to keep the Church open.
1984 Archaeological Survey
An archaeological survey of the site was carried out on 11th April 1984, by a lady named Deirdre Guerin. In her introduction she writes:
This site consists of a church, Trinity Church, which is rectangular in shape, aligned E-W, with a chancel at its W end and a modern extension on its N side. There is a pointed doorway in the W wall with a round window above it. There are stained glass windows in both the N and S walls. This was the old protestant church of Killimor and is now used as a sub office for the Bank of Ireland.
In her recommendations she intimates that the church required no further archaeological work and that it may have been built for, and used by the local gentry, especially those who occupied the nearby Hearnesbrook House.
Later Uses for the Church
After religious services were discontinued in the Church, the building was used for some years as a sub-office by Bank of Ireland, Portumna. The bank closed this particular facility circa 1988. The Church building was also used as a venue for participants in Fleadh Cheoil, Co. na Gaillimhe, in the years 1987, 1988 and 1993.The Representative Church Body eventually sold the premises to Brendan Lynch on 23rd November 1992.
Killimor at the end of the 19th century
Killimor in the 1950s
The Town in 1894
In 1894 the commercial life of the town was recorded by Slater (Slater’s Directory) who named the people and their various trades.
Broderick Mrs, dress maker
Byrnes James, victualler
Campbell Winnie, dressmaker
Conroy John, victualler
Costello Thomas, licensed grocer
Delahunt Catherine, grocer
Duffy Thomas, baker
Flannery Michael, boot and shoe maker
Griffin Owen, licensed grocer
Hara Martin, carpenter
Haverty Patrick, weaver
Hoade Norah, dress maker
Horan Denis, tailor hardware merchant and postmaster
Keogh Jn., blacksmith & licensed grocer
Kilkenny Maria, delf dealer
Kirwan Eliza, licensed grocer
Larkin Patrick, general merchant
Lyons Mary A., draper
McCormack Patrick, carpenter
Madden James, saddler
Mathews John, licensed grocer
Meade Joseph, tailor
Molony Mary, general merchant
Muldoon John, boot & shoe maker & Licensed Grocer
Nolan James, miller
O’Hara Edward, licensed grocer
O’Meara John, draper, grocer
Sanders Mrs, dress maker
Sanders Patrick, tailor
Business People in 1901
In 1901 the business people included Patrick Bohan, a shopkeeper, aged thirty seven, Margaret Donohoe, a thirty three year old married shopkeeper and Mary Flood, a seventy four year old widow. There were three unmarried shopkeepers, Anne Larkin, a twenty five year old draper, Annie Lyons aged twenty eight years, and Lizzie Molony aged twenty four.
Sample of the 1901 Census
Other Occupations in 1901
A variety of occupations is mentioned such as: boot-maker, butcher, carpenter, clergyman, dressmaker, farmer, labourer, police constable, postman, servant, shop-assistant, smith, stonemason, tailor and teacher. One sixty nine year old person’s status was given as “washwoman”. Mary Finn’s occupation was recorded as “lodging/housekeeper”, and lodgers in her house named in the 1901 census were: Michael Martin, a 75 year old widower, Betty Martin, a widow aged 85 years, and Pat Connolly a 60 years old widower whose occupation was given as labourer. Mary Nevin also had a lodging house. Census records in 1901 show that a tailor named Peter Connaire aged thirty years, lodged with Mary Nevin as well as a cattle-driver named Martin Purcell aged sixty three years and a forty year old unmarried shoemaker named James Harte.
As well as the odd tailor, the town had an abundance of dressmakers at this time. According to the 1901 census records, Patrick Horan aged 36 years, was a tailor, and his sister, Mary, was a dressmaker. Ellen Broderick, wife of army pensioner Pat aged 60, also practised the art of dressmaking. Other dressmakers living with various families were: Mary Elizabeth Broderick aged 17 years, Nora Flood aged 30, Kate Hobbs aged 23 and Nora Hobbs aged 19. Three seamstresses resided with Annie Larkin, they were Annie Broderick aged 16, Annie Gallagher aged 23, from Roscommon, and eighteen year old Annie Greogan (sic) who came from King’s County. The number of people engaged in the clothing trade suggests that a large amount of business revolved around mending and patching old clothes, alterations, remaking of clothes to provide a new look, as well as the manufacture of new clothes. The trade of shoe-maker/boot-maker was also a very necessary facility. The name Flannery springs to mind. Other names listed in 1901, were John Muldoon aged 33 years, John Sheil aged 25 and his brother, Jerome aged 15, and James Harte aged 40 years who was born in Sligo. About ten families in the town employed servants. These servants ranged in age from twelve years to seventy two years.
The occasional musical interlude was provided in that era by an itinerant musician called Michael Curley aged 48, who was in Killimor on the night that the 1901 census was taken.
Business in 1911
The 1911 census shows only Margaret Donohoe as still being resident in Killimor, and occupying a private dwelling. James Dunne, born in Co. Tipperary, aged seventy one in 1901, and described as a police pensioner, does not appear on the 1911 census. Eliza Madden was a sixty five year old widow in 1901, and is not recorded in the 1911 census. William Walsh, an unmarried thirty seven year old draper’s assistant, was listed in the 1901 census but not in the 1911 records.
Some names in Killimor town as recorded in the 1911 Census. They include such family names as Campbell, Canniff, Carroll, Clarke, Cleary, Connaughton, Conroy, Counaire, Cunniffe, Curley, Delahunt, Donohoe, Duddy and Duffy.
Many of the family names recorded in the town in 1901 and 1911 are no longer in the area. Some, thankfully, are still to the good. They include Byrnes/Byrne, Cunniffe, Duffy, Kirwan, Matthews and O’Meara.
Local people, who had a sound knowledge of the place, helped to build up this picture of the houses and buildings as they were in the early decades of the 20th century. Some of these people are still hale and hearty, while others are imithe ar shlí na fírinne.
Houses and Buildings in Killimor North
Colgan’s: The house was built circa 1932. The next people to occupy the house were Paddy and Pearl McEvoy who opened a shop beside the dwelling house. Both shop and residence were later purchased by Brendan Concannon.
School: The “Old” Old School was officially opened on 7th January 1861. The Boys’ and Girls’ Schools were separate departments in the same building, until amalgamation took place circa 1970. The new school opened in December 1964.
Flannery’s: Michael Flannery and family are listed in both the 1901 and 1911 census. Michael’s occupation was given as bootmaker and he owned a private dwelling. It appears to have been a long house with two front entrances. Vincent Hanley now lives in the first house. The Brien family occupy the second house and run the post office there.
Robinson’s: Johnny Robinson was the headmaster in the local Boys’ School. After his time, the house was rented for many years by various sergeants serving in the Garda Siochána.
An aerial view of the “old” old school prior to demolition in 1963. Colgan’s house (now Concannon’s residence with Supermarket attached) is to the right. On the left are Flannery’s houses (now Hanley’s and Brien’s). Robinson’s house is on the extreme left and is unoccupied at present.
Ryan’s: The building housed the Post Office for many years. It was owned afterwards by Thomas Melody (teacher), then by Eamonn Hannon (accountant during the operation of Tynagh Mines). It is now the property of Brendan Concannon.
Matthews’s: There were two houses here. The old thatched house was burned down in May 1944, the other house was owned and occupied by the Matthews family and contained a public house for many years. Aggie Matthews and her husband Padraig Burns now occupy the house.
Michael Wynne, who was a sergeant in the R.I.C, and his family occupied this house in the early 20th century. After they moved on, the house was rented to Garda Murphy and family. It was bought by Paddy Monahan (Derrew and USA), then bought by Beesie Heade who ran the Post Office there for many years, assuming the position of post mistress after the retirement of Joe and Nora Ryan. The house was later owned by Thomas O’Hara who was a nephew of Beesie Heade. He subsequently sold it to Eddie Lynch and it is now the property of Jimmy Coen, Derrew.
Kelly’s: The house was built by Timmy Kelly, and later bought by Michael Tyrrell (Chemist), then by Jimmy Coen (Derrew). Part of the house is now used as a diner and fast food outlet.
Old Houses: There were two old houses where the Community Centre is now situated. One was occupied by Meegans. Owen Meegan, who originally came from Fintona, Co. Tyrone, moved to Killimor in 1929. He was an experienced miller and took up work in Ballycahill Mill. Local sources recall his love for Woodbine cigarettes and his interest in football where, when playing, he hoped to “snatch a point”! The family remained in Killimor until 1939 when they moved to Ballyduff, Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny. Owen died on the 28th December 1946.
Liza Bernard lived in the other thatched house. She is registered in both the 1901 and 1911 census as owning a private dwelling. The story goes that she loved reading books about romance and murder! The Community Centre served as a cinema before being revamped and reconstructed.
The Barracks: According to both the 1901 and the 1911 census this was originally a dwelling house with nine rooms and owned by the Rudden family. Matthew Rudden was an RIC pensioner and his daughter, Clarry Rudden, married John Taylor, an auctioneer, in Portumna. The building was then used as a barracks by the Garda Siochána until the construction of the new barracks. It was then bought by members of the Cunniffe family.
Cooney’s: This house was originally Delahunt’s. The name William Delahunt appears in Griffith’s Valuation, 1848-1864. Catherine Delahunt is named in the 1901 census as being a shopkeeper/widow. James Cooney from Portumna married Lucy Delahunt who, according to the 1911 census, owned a public house in Killimor. After the demise of James Cooney and his wife, the premises was occupied by a Mr. McCluskey who was a chemist. Later on Michael Tyrell also had a chemist’s business there. When Michael Tyrell moved, Tommy Cunniffe from Hearnesbrook bought the premises and opened a public house. The next owner of the public house was Jimmy Hardiman from Mullagh. It is now owned by Brendan and Marie O’Dowd.
Foley’s: Tom and Ann Hardiman now occupy this house which was originally owned by a family of Foleys.
Griffin’s Public House: This business was owned by Mrs. Julia Griffin and after her demise became the property of her nephew John Cunniffe.
Miss Meara’s: This lady had a shop between Cunniffes and Kirwans. She was named as Bridget Meara, aged 56 in the 1901 census. However the 1911 census shows that she owned a private two-roomed dwelling with five out-offices.
Miss Kirwan’s: Eliza Kirwan, in her mid 50s, was a widow and shop keeper according to the 1901 census. She owned a shop and a ten-roomed private dwelling. By the time the 1911 census was recorded the name had changed to John Kirwan. It later traded under the name Kirwan Bros. The premises is now “Kirwan’s Central Bar”, so the name Kirwan is retained.
Keane’s: Paddy Keane was a butcher and lived across the road in a house facing Kirwan’s.
Another house: Another small house was situated beside Paddy Keane’s. It was occupied by Jamesie Haverty, who, according to local sources, was a weaver. James was thirty six years of age according to the 1901 census and lived with his mother Mary, aged eighty two years.
Soughley’s: The Soughley family home was on the next site. The family were “old residenters”. Michael Sughley (sic) was listed on the south side of Killimor in Griffith’s Valuation. Francis Soughley was forty years old at the time of the 1901 census, and is again listed in the 1911 census. Sadly, no one of that name now lives in Killimor.
Killimor Culture & Heritage Centre now stands on the grounds of the old Soughley homestead.
Hobbs’s: According to the 1901 census the house next to Soughleys was occupied by Bridget Hobbs, her sister Mary Anne Sullivan and her brother Benjamin Sullivan. Local sources say that a man named Mike Larkin had a shop there (and sold a large amount of chamber pots!). Michael Larkin, aged forty years and described as a grocer, is listed in the 1901 census. He had a house of his own and possibly rented the shop space from Mrs. Hobbs.
Later on, Tom Treacy rented half this house from the owners, took over the shop and also started a carpentry business there. After the Treacys moved on to a new premises, Kal Moran had a drapery and grocery business there. Also living there was Kal’s sister Rita, who was married to Joe Hanney. Eugene Concannon now owns and lives on the premises.
Two Houses: One house faced east. It is not clear who occupied this house before Mr. and Mrs. Mattimoe – policeman and teacher respectively. Being widowed, Mrs. Mattimoe later married Austin O’Toole, and went to live in Hearnesbrook. The house was later lived in by Timmy Madden, from Garryad and his wife Kathleen Hynes, who was a dressmaker. Colm Nevin, from Tiernascragh, carried out his saddlery business in that house for some years.
The second house faced south and was lived in by the local blacksmith, John Carr and family, and it was later occupied by Mick Griffin. Both of the above houses were demolished many years ago.
Treacy’s: Tom Treacy was a shop-keeper and undertaker. The Treacy family moved to this new location in 1932, built on a site bought from Mrs. Hobbs. The premises was built by Tom Treacy and Tommy Lyons, Ramore (uncle of Johnny) and was roofed by Tom Heade, Slateford. The now disused store beside the premises was owned by Carrolls at one stage. The 1901 census lists Michael Carroll, an unmarried farmer aged sixty, and his sister Bridget, aged fifty, as living in Killimor town. Only Bridget is recorded in the 1911 census which indicated that she owned a private dwelling.
Nolan’s: Daniel Nolan occupied this house circa 1901. The census denotes that he lived in a private dwelling, with his sister Bridget, and a fifteen year old servant named Eliza Kennedy, from Tipperary. Daniel Nolan is again listed in the 1911 census as owning a seven roomed private dwelling with twelve out-offices. William Brien (senior) and his wife Katie Hardiman, from Killeen, subsequently raised their family there. The house still belongs to the Brien family.
Duffy’s Excel Warehouse: At the turn of the century this premises was owned by Pat Gibbs who came from Kilconnell. He is not mentioned in the 1901 census but the 1911 records indicate that Patrick Gibbs owned a public house in Killimor town. It was bought by Michael Duffy (Eugene’s grandfather) and in time was extended as far as the archway. The premises contained a grocery, public house and drapery business. In the late 1990s, Geraldine Neville/Duffy (R.I.P) opened a very successful pharmacy business on the premises. The establishment is now run by Eugene Duffy.
Duffy’s Private House: The house was built on a site given to Michael Duffy (Eugene’s grandfather) by his cousin Miss Duffy. Michael, and his wife Marian Connors, raised their family there. Their daughter Florrie, who ran the drapery business, lived in that house until her death. It is now owned and occupied by Eugene and his family.
Next House: Michael Duffy, according to his son Alfie, bought this particular house from a man named Lawlor. He rented it for many years to the Tooher family whose father was a member of the Garda Síochána. It was destroyed by fire in February 1967. Having been rebuilt, it was occupied by Alfie and Kitty Duffy (née Blehein), now both deceased.
Next House: Again this site was bought and the house was built by Michael Duffy. Thomas Felle and family rented the house and lived there circa 1911. Thomas Felle appears on the 1911 census as living in a private three roomed dwelling. Afterwards the house was rented out to the Garda Síochána before being occupied by Dermot and Mary Duffy and family, (Eugene’s parents).
The Curate’s House: Catholic curates in the parish occupied this house for many years. They then lived in Tiernascragh in purpose-built new accommodation. The house was eventually demolished and community houses are now built on the site.
Holohan’s: A family of Holohans resided in the house, which was situated on the far side of the pedestrian avenue leading to the church, in the space beside Porter’s house. A Mary Holohan is named, in both the 1901 and 1911 census, as living in this three-roomed private dwelling. The house was demolished many years ago.
Porter’s: Tom Porter, originally from Tynagh, and his wife Nellie Whelan from Derradda, built this house. Jack Whelan and his brother Brendan (brothers of Nellie) had a garage, a bicycle shop and two petrol pumps beside Porter’s house.
Whelan’s: Jack Whelan, at one stage County Secretary of the Gaelic Athletic Association, and his wife, Annie Porter from Oldthort, Portumna, built the house and reared their family there. It is still occupied by members of the Whelan family.
Houses and Buildings in Killimor South
Notley’s: The house was built in the early 1950s by Robert and Bridget Notley on a site bought from Horsemans.
Hanney’s Garage: The garage business was run for many years by Jimmy, Mattie and Brendie Hanney. The premises is now used by Nigel Hanney for his window/door business.
Holy Trinity Church: In order to serve the number of Protestants in the Parish at that time, Trinity Church was constructed. It is situated on the N65 road between Portumna and Loughrea at the end of the village of Killimor, and in its day was one of the smallest and most picturesque in the Diocese, being a Chapel-of-Ease to Eyrecourt church. An archaeological survey of the site was carried out on 11th April 1984, by a lady named Deirdre Guerin. In her introduction she writes:
This site consists of a church, Trinity Church, which is rectangular in shape, aligned E-W, with a chancel at its W end and a modern extension on its N side. There is a pointed doorway in the W wall with a round window above it. There are stained glass windows in both the N and S walls. This was the old protestant church of Killimor and is now used as a sub office for the Bank of Ireland.
In her recommendations she intimates that the church required no further archaeological work and that it may have been built for, and used by the local gentry, especially those who occupied the nearby Hearnesbrook House.
Bank of Ireland closed their sub-office in the building circa 1988. The Church building was also used as a venue for participants in Fleadh Cheoil, Co. na Gaillimhe, in the years 1987, 1988 and 1993.
The Representative Church Body eventually sold the premises to Brendan Lynch on 23rd November 1992.
Connaire’s: Martin Connaire came from the Derrybrien area and was a blacksmith. His daughter, Aggie, married Martin Scott from Clontuskert, who was a carpenter. The house was bought and reconstructed by Brendan Lynch.
Duffy’s Corner House: The premises was formerly Costello’s who ran a shop there. It was owned afterwards by Miss Catherine Duffy. The building was inherited by Michael Duffy and housed a grocery and bar. It is now a private dwelling and occupied by Aidan and Eileen Duffy. Tradition says that the name over Miss Duffy’s shop was the same height as the top of the spire on the Protestant Church in Portumna!
Duddy’s: The Duddy family had a shop in this premises which was previously occupied by Sparlings. John Duddy, aged thirty seven years, is described as a shop keeper in the 1901 census, and as occupying a shop with eight rooms in the 1911 census. The family later moved to Portumna and M.A. Brody acquired the building. It is now the property of Eugene Duffy.
The Parish Hall: This community building was situated beside Brody’s (now Duffy’s). Dances, plays and concerts were held there. Auctions also took place there. According to The hall held the sub-office of the Hibernian Bank, Portumna, for some years, and court cases were also heard there. It was eventually bought by the Brody family.
We know the hall was there in 1917 because permission was sought by the A.O.H. from Sinn Féin for its use.
Other Houses: There were at least two small houses beside the parish hall. Local sources say that a lady, called Kate Broderick, occupied one of the houses. However, her name does not appear on either the 1901 or 1911 census. Griffith’s Valuation shows that a Martin Broderick lived in Main St. (South Side) circa 1855, but it is not known if he was connected to Kate. A family of Conroys is believed to have occupied the second house. The 1901 census lists a sixty year old widow, named Bridget McDermott, as the head of the household. Other occupants of the house were her widowed sister, Mary Conroy, her nephews, John, Thomas and Christy Conroy and her niece Anne Conroy.
Mason’s: Dr. Anne Mason, the local G.P., her husband Bertie and their family lived in this premises and it once housed a pharmacy. It was previously occupied by the local midwife, Nurse McDonnell and her family. Dr. Mason’s brother was Fr. Michael Griffin, originally from Gurteen, Ballinasloe, who was found murdered in a bog in Barna in 1920 during the Black and Tan period. The house was eventually sold and the last owner was the late Jack Concannon.
Gibbs’s: Pat Gibbs who lived in this house, originally owned Duffy’s of Excel Warehouse. His wife was Madden from New Line, Tiernascragh. The house was later bought and occupied by Tommy and Mollie Leahy (née Donoghue) and is now owned by Pakie O’Hara.
Old RIC Barracks: The building housed the Royal Irish Constabulary, and according to local information was later bought or rented by two Miss Kearys from Portumna, who ran a shop there. It was then bought by Paddy Geoghegan (from Hearnesbrook and known as “Watty”), who had a butcher’s shop there. He rented part of the premises to Beesie Heade, who had the Post Office there, before moving up to Wynne’s house. The house is now owned and occupied by Pakie O’Hara.
Connaughton’s: According to the 1911 census, John Connaughton had a public house in Killimor, and the family of seven occupied six rooms in the building. The Byrne family subsequently bought the business from Connaughtons, and ran a grocery and butcher’s business there for many years. Byrne’s private house and the Credit Union office are now there.
Pender’s: William Pender, who served in the RIC, lived there. His name appears on the 1911 census, and his signature as an enumerator is on Form B. 1 for Killimor town His daughter, Ivy, married Vincent Walsh. They had one son, Vincent, who emigrated. The house is now owned and occupied by Pat and Ita Cormican.
Forge Yard: This area was owned by members of the Hanney family (garage) and the building at the front was used as a showroom for radios and other goods. In later years it was rented by Joe Farragher (Headstones). The building is now unoccupied.
Next Building: This is the building where Michael Duffy of Excel Warehouse started his business. It is now owned by Eddie Lynch, who runs a garage and car sales business there.
Kelly’s: A man named Thomas Kelly occupied a house in Main Street, Killimore, circa 1855 according to Griffith’s Valuation. Any connection to Timothy Kelly, who lived in Killimor in 1911, could not be established. Timothy Kelly had a bakery and shop in this building. A baker, named Thomas Duffy, is listed in the commercial section of Slater’s Directory, but it is not certain that he lived in these premises. According to local information, Tim Kelly was a cattle dealer and had a car hire business. The house, at one stage, contained the local dispensary. It was later owned by Tom Porter and is now occupied and owned by Mrs. Mary Brien (widow of Thomas) and her family.
Hough’s: John Hough, aged sixty years in 1911, was described in the census as occupying a shop and private dwelling. Information from the 1911 census listed him as owning a public house. His son Michael continued the business. In later years Michael’s sister, Agnes, and a lady named Miss Grace, lived there. The latter was supposed to be a lady-in-waiting to some important person! On fair days, rates were collected on the premises by John Hobbs, who was a rate-collector from Kiltormer. The public house was subsequently bought by Joe and Nancy Murray. The building was recently demolished a new house was constructed on the site.
Boyle’s: John Joe and Annie Boyle had a very successful tailoring and dressmaking business in the house next to Hough’s. The local dispensary was moved to this premises and it also contained the library for many years. The house was later owned by Patsy and Carmel Shiel, who were renowned members of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann. The building was reconstructed and now houses a restaurant.
Miss Stewart’s: This lady’s house was situated between Boyle’s and O’Meara’s. Miss Stewart supposedly came back from America and lived there for some years. Death records list a Margurita (sic) Stewart, who died 28th June, 1940, and is buried in Killimor cemetery. Apart from that, nothing is known about Miss Stewart only that Alfie Duffy remembered delivering a paper and a half hundred weight of coal to her every Saturday, when he was a young boy. The house was demolished several years ago.
O’Meara’s: Local sources think that this premises was once owned by Pelleys. Griffith’s Valuation indicates that a Michael Pelly lived in Main Street, Killimor, circa 1855. In 1901, John O’Meara, aged forty one, occupied a private dwelling and shop in Killimor town. According to the family, O’Mearas started their business at the rear of Fitzpatrick’s, but transferred “O’Meara’s” to new premises after the Big Wind in 1902, trading under the name P.V. O’Meara. They ran a public house, grocery and the post office. The Court House was at the end of O’Meara’s (Stewart’s end) and had a separate valuation and a separate entrance. This premises is now owned by Seán Treacy and his family.
The Weigh-Bridge: The weigh-bridge was situated on the side-walk between O’Meara’s and Fitzpatrick’s. Cattle, pigs, and loads of hay and corn, were weighed there during fairs and markets.
Frankie and Kathleen Fitzpatrick’s Bungalow: This is one of the newer houses in the town. It was built on a vacant site belonging to Fitzpatricks. It is now occupied by Patsy Murray, (son of May Fitzpatrick and Jimmy Murray) and his wife, Evelyn.
Fitzpatrick’s: The premises contained a public house. Patrick Fitzpatrick was a stone-mason who carved many headstones in the yard behind the premises. The first sliotar (hurling ball) was made in this public house. The property is now owned and occupied by Michael and Anne Nevin.
Lawlor’s: A family of Lawlors lived in this house at one stage. The 1911 census readings show that a Michael Lawlor lived in a six-room private dwelling in Killimor town. Afterwards, it was occupied by Michael O’Meara, who came from Eglish in Tipperary, and his family. Mattie and Bridgie Hanney reared their family here. The house is now owned and occupied by Jimmy and Maura Hanney.
Larkin’s/P.C. Curley’s: This was the homestead of the Larkin Family. Paddy Larkin achieved fame because of the “Killimor Rules” of hurling. P.C. Curley, from Kiltormer, married Bridget Larkin. The building was once a hotel of note, with commercial travellers, cattle dealers and others lodging there. It also housed a fine drapery shop, millinery, grocery and bar. It is now demolished. Brendan and Ailish Nevin’s house is on the site.
John Carr’s Forge: The forge was situated in P.C. Curley’s yard. John Carr came originally from Tipperary. In later years, his son, Brendie Carr, modernised the forge and started welding and doing general repairs to tractors and machinery. He ceased work there in the late 1970s. Only the shell of the building now remains.
Glynn’s: Martin Hara, Heathlawn, married into Glynn’s. His wife died and he subsequently married Kate Malone, Derradda. The house changed hands many times down through the years. The housing estates, in Valley Park and in St. Joseph’s Park, are built on the land which belonged to the house.
Connors’s: Catherine Connor, a fifty-five year old widow, is listed in the 1901 census, and the 1911 census indicates that she occupied a six-room private dwelling. Her son, Johnny Connors and his family occupied this house which was situated in the hollow opposite the old school. Local sources say that there was a pub on these premises at one stage. Johnny Connors was a plumber by trade, and his was the first house in Killimor to have running water, Johnny having devised his own water system.
Johnny Connors also owned the smaller house on the same site which he rented out. Colm Nevin continued his saddlery business there, and it was subsequently bought by Jimmy Reilly, whose family lived there until moving to St. Joseph’s Park. Both of these houses were recently demolished.
“The Burnt House”: This house was situated where the Health Centre now stands. It was also called “The Light House”. It is said there was a candle always lighting in the window facing the town. It is thought that it was owned by Patrick Clarke (Tom’s father, Moate) but this could not be verified.
The Saw–Mills: The business was situated between “The Burnt House” and what is now Carol Hanney-Gilmore’s house. It was owned and worked by Patrick Clarke, who sawed timber for hire, and supplied egg-cases to Brodys, Duffys, Murphys of Loughrea and Twibills of Ahascragh. Patrick moved to Moate in the 1920s, and worked the saw-mill there at Balnadarry Cross until circa 1940. He also had a horse-drawn hearse and an old horse-powered thresher. He did the threshing for Mackay in Hearnesbrook Demesne, and this took two to three weeks. He later got a Hornsby oil engine which was driven on paraffin. This engine had a six horse-power brake. Mackay had one with a seven horse-power brake – this engine was seen at Eyrecourt Vintage Rally in 2002, modified and in good condition. During “Rationing” Patrick Clarke got a permit for an oil supply of about forty gallons a month, to work the engines for the saw-mills.
House on the Hill: The house originally belonged to Johnny Connors. He rented it out to Miss Flood, who was Principal of the Girls’ School in the early 1900s, and subsequently to a Garda family named Crofton. It was bought by Bernie and Bernadette Hanney and now belongs to Carol Hanney-Gilmore.
Muldoon’s: According to the 1911 census Tom Muldoon occupied a four-room private dwelling in Garrynasillagh. He was a stone-mason of note, and reared his family in this dwelling. The house was later occupied by Jimmy and Annie Whelan, and subsequently by Eamonn Cunningham. It is now called the “Gable End” and owned and occupied by Leslie Kenny.
Liam Mulvihill, Director General, GAA, 1979 – 2008
Liam Mulvihill, who was Director General of the Gaelic Athletic Association from 1979 to 2008, visited Killimor National School in 1992.
Killimor “The Cradle of Hurling”
He addressed the children reminding them of Killimor Hurling Club’s contribution to the parish and community down through the years. This was a fitting tribute since Killimor is often referred to as “The Cradle of Hurling”, produced the Killimor Rules 1869 and designed and made the hurling ball used in the first All- Ireland Final at Birr in 1888.
Upgrade their skills
Mr. Mulvihill advised the children to stay with the game, upgrade their skills and continue to compete at top level.
L. to R.: Angela Geoghegan, Liam Mulvihill, Tom Joe Larkin, Rev. Fr. Solon, P.P., Jimmy McClearn.
St. Joseph’s Church Killimor
Church records indicate that the building of St. Joseph’s Church was begun in 1835 and completed in 1842. Fr. Francis Coghlan was instrumental in the building of this church which was then blessed by Dr. Coen, Bishop of Clonfert, on December 4th 1842. This church is situated at the east end of Killimor village in the townland of Garryad. The church and Parochial House stand on about half a statute acre. Old men of the parish maintained that the original plot, given free by Lord Dunsandle, was one statute acre and contained two gardens. The church is cruciform in shape and the building of the tower was occasioned by the fact that in 1895 an anonymous donor presented a 20 cwt. bell. This remained on timber framework until 1904 when the tower, erected at a cost of approximately £300, was prepared to receive it. The bell was blessed by a delegation in 1905. Records state that the cost of the building was defrayed by a parish cess and a bazaar. Assistance was also provided by a charitable donor, Mr. Daniel Nolan, who, the records later indicate, presented the bell. The gilt sanctuary lamp was also presented to the church by Daniel Nolan in 1911. The church was renovated between 1950 and 1952. Church Records show that the old timber altar railings were used in the renovation of the gallery, and are still there to this day, forming the protective railing at the front of the gallery. The altar, which was donated by Dr. G. Madden, London (nephew of Fr. J. Madden P.P. Killimor) was consecrated by Most Rev. Dr. Winters in 1955. Windows and seats were donated by Dr. G. Madden and by parishioners.
A grotto with a Pieta, sometimes referred to as The Calvary, was erected on the church grounds in 1925 by the people of Killimor, in memory of the late Rev. J.P. Callanan P.P. This grotto was demolished in the early 1980s.
The Sanctuary in St. Joseph’s Church
This image shows the refurbished Sanctuary in St. Joseph’s Church, Killimor. This interior renovation was carried out as one of the Jubilee Projects for the year 2000. The objective was to retain all that was good while ensuring that the Sanctuary area is suitable for the celebration of Mass and the administration of the Sacraments. Existing material was recycled and reshaped to suit the new layout, so that nothing was wasted or thrown out. The best artists and tradesmen were employed to carry out the project. Positive comments have been passed such as “bright, beautiful, open, welcoming”.
The Baptismal Font 1835
The baptismal font in Killimor church dates from 1835. It is carved from limestone which came from Partry, Co. Mayo. Both base and font are octagonal in shape though not symmetrical.
This font was situated for many years at the back of the Church near the main door. During church renovations it was placed in the sanctuary area, where it still stands.
While there are no markings on the Mass Gong (bell) to denote its origins, there is a story built around it. It supposedly came from a monastery in France to a monastery in Galway. When the Galway monastery was closing down the gong was given to the parish priest, Fr. John Callanan, Killimor, circa 1912-13.
Holy Water Font
Local sources maintain that in the late 1890s, John O’Meara of Killimor presented a granite holy water font to the church which was based in the side porch of what was then called the men’s aisle. It is still there to this day and now bears the inscription: Pray for the Parents of Vincent O’Meara.
Stations of the Cross 1881
An item in the Western News, dated August 6th 1881, refers to a visit to Killimor by a Mr. James Miller of London. He was addressed ‘on behalf of the people of Killimor’ by John Robinson, Pat Cunniffe, Michael Hobbs and Timothy Kirwan, who thanked him ‘for the magnificent present to our church – the Stations of the Cross – which contribute so much to its ornamentation’.
An Oratory in Killimor
In the year 1907 James MacDermott Esq. Ramore, received from Rome the right of a private oratory, and the grant was submitted to, and approved of, by the Most Rev. Thomas O’Dea D.D., the then Bishop of Clonfert.
Windows in Killimor Church
In the years 1910 and 1911 the church was furnished with two stained glass windows and six ornamental windows.
The donors included:- John Robinson, John Kirwan, Michael and Pat Nevin, Mary Finn, James and Mrs. McLernin (sic), Bridget Curley (Larkin), James MacDermott and Miss Mgt. Flood. There were other voluntary contributions from at home and abroad.
The church was renovated between 1950 and 1952. Windows and seats were donated by Dr. G. Madden (nephew of Rev. John Madden P.P.) and by parishioners.
Left: Dedication reads: Erected to the memory of James and Bridget Kirwan by their devoted son John.
Right: Dedication reads: Erected to the memory of John and Kate Robinson by their son John.
The inscriptions on the windows read:
Pray for the souls of Patrick & Mary Flood, RIP
Erected to the memory of Patrick & Celia Larkin by their devoted daughter Brigid Curley
Erected to the memory of John & Mary McClearn by their devoted sons James & John
Erected to the memory of James & Brigid Kirwan by their devoted son John
Erected to the memory of James & Mary McDermot by their devoted sons James & John
Erected to the memory of Seán Cunniffe who died 22nd August 1949
Erected to the memory of Michael Nevin and Family Clonoolish
Erected to the memory of John Joseph Kirwan who died 29th June 1941
Erected by Mary Finn to the memory of her Father, Mother & Brother
Presented by Michael Duffy in memory of his Parents
Presented by Michael Dillon in memory of his Parents
Erected to the memory of John and Kate Robinson by their devoted son John (two windows)
Presented by Mary Ellen Kelly in memory of her Parents & her Brothers, Timothy & Michael RIP
Presented by Laurence Geoghegan in memory of his Parents Patrick & Mary Geoghegan
In memory of James Fennessy, his son James and his daughter Marie
Erected to the memory of Patrick and Mary Coughlan, Lisdeligna, by their son John.
Seats in the Church
Seats are dedicated to the memory of:
The Parents of Patrick Tierney, Heathlawn. Mrs. Brigid Bohan, Derrysiskle.
The Husband & Parents of Mrs. Travers, U.S.A. Rev. Bro. Fintan Egan.
James & Mrs. McEvoy, Lisaniska. The Parents of Vincent O’Meara, Killimor.
Anthony & Mary Dervan, Ramore. The Parents of M.A. & Mrs. Brody, Killimor.
John & Mary Finnerty, Derrada. The Parents of E. Treacy, Ballinahiscragh.
John & Mary Daly, Derrada. The Parents of John Joe Fahy, Ramore.
The Walsh Family, Loughisle. John Cunniffe, Killimor.
The Parents of James Clasby, Moate. Ambrose Treacy, Heathlawn.
Lawrence Treacy, Heathlawn. Albert & Terry Larkin, Ramore.
John & Mary A. Hanney, Kylemore. The Parents of James Dillon, Lisdeligna.
The Parents of James & Mary Hickey. The Parents of Thomas Keary, Kylemore.
Michael & Brigid Flannery, Killimor. Patrick & Mary Byrne, Killimor.
Thomas & Brigid Mitchell, Cloncona. V. Rev. John Madden, P.P. Killimor.
Mary A. Moran, Derrysiskle. The Parents of John O’Hara, Ramore.
The Parents of Martin Hanrahan, Garryard. Robert & Kate Notley.
The Deceased Members of the Briscoe Family, Lisaniska.
Patrick Cunningham, Lismihill. Rt. Rev. James Madden, P.P. V.G. Tynagh.
The Monaghan Families, Derrew & Lisdeligna.
The Deceased Members of the O’Toole Family, Hearnsbrook.
Michael Fitzgerald, Ballinahiscragh. The Parents of Michael Kenny, Treen.
Peter & Ellen Brien, Lisdeligna. Elizabeth, Patrick & Anne Scully, Cloncona.
The Deceased Members of the Burke Family, Hearnsbrook.
Annie & Robert Mason. Albie Pender, Killimor.
James & Peter Costello, Cloncona. The Dolan & Malone Families.
John & Mary Clarke, Lisaniska. John Connor & his Parents, Killimor.
Mrs. Ellen Noone, Heathlawn. James Dolan U.S.A.
The Parents of Thos. & Mary O’Meara, Killeen. Richard Conway, Ramore.
Sheila O’Toole, Hearnsbrook. The Moran Family, Cloncona.
Sadie Cunniffe, Thornford.
The inscriptions on the remainder of the seats read as follows—
The Costello Family, Cloncona. The Hanney Family, Heathlawn.
The Hanrahan Family, Ramore. Michael Campbell, Lisaniska.
The Treacy Family, Killimor. The Blaney Family, Ramore.
Jack McClearn in memory of the Barry Family. The Larkin Family, Lisdeligna.
Martin Fahy & Family, Killeen. John & Mary Hobbs, Lisaniska.
The Harris Family, Ballinahiscragh. Vincent Donelan & Family, Corr.
The Grady Family, Neale, in memory of their Parents.
Other inscriptions are:
Lord Jesus Have Mercy on the Soul of Harry Curley.
Pray for the repose of the Souls of Joseph & Thomas Foley and their Parents.
A letter from Ms. Alex Ward, Art and Industrial Division, National Museum of Ireland, states vestments were lent to the Museum in November 1945, by Fr. Madden P.P., Killimor. Fr. Madden requested that the vestments be returned for the celebration of the Silver Jubilee of the consecration of the Bishop, Dr. Dignan, to be held in St. Joseph’s College, Ballinasloe. The return of the vestments from the National Museum appears to have been permanent, and the letter indicates that the Museum supplied a display case so that they could be safely exhibited in St. Joseph’s College. Church records do not clarify if these vestments were bought by, or donated to the parish. Hugh Maguire, from the Hunt Museum, describes the design of the vestments as ‘very distinctive and can’t be before a particular wave of Celtic revivalism late 19th century at the earliest’. Above are two samples of the vestments which are now back in the parish of Killimor.
Left: Letter from Ms. Alex Ward, Art and Industrial Division, National Museum of Ireland, sent to Rev. Fr. Madden.
Right: Very Rev. John Madden P.P. Killimor, 1930-1951.
Crucifix on Church Grounds
To commemorate the Redemptorist Mission of 1905, a cross with a life-size image of the Crucified Christ, in cement, was erected in the church grounds. This was later removed and is now in the old cemetery.
First Communicant with teacher photographed at Crucifix in early 1960s.
Bishop’s Visitation 1931
The following table shows the names of villages and the family names in each village at the Bishop’s Visitation to the parish in 1931, as recorded in church records, Liber Status Animarum, Killimor 1931. It will be noted that in some cases villages were combined for church purposes and not treated separately as part of the forty seven townlands of the civil parish. The spelling of names and villages are exactly as recorded. Death, emigration, allocation of land, and other circumstances caused some family names to die out in many villages down through the years.
Kylemore: Shiel, Curley, Keary, Hanney, Tracey, Malone, Goode, Moran, Hanney, Mitchell,
Keatinge, Moran, Egan/Killeen (from Quansboro), Keatinge, Duffy.
Ballinahiscragh: Quirke, Starr, Barry, Mannion, Fitzgerald, Hughes, Harris, Noone, Keary, Tracey.
Heathlawn: Hara, McLernan (John), L.Tracey/Muldoon,Keary/Tracey, Hanney, McLernan(James),Whyte,Tierney, Finnerty, Tracey (John).
Lismihill: & Moate Kelly(Michael), Donohoe, Murray, Clasby, Kennedy/Reddin, Whyte,
Kelly (Ml.), Hickey, Clarke, Gordon, Nevills, Kenny, Cunningham.
Killeen: Meara, Nevin, McGann (Thos), Kilkenny, Donohoe, McGann (Patrick) McEnaney/Goonan, Fahy.
Whitegate & Ballycahill: Geoghegan, Kelly (Patk.), Shiel, Dillon, Reilly, Callanan, Larkin, Kelly (Michael), Hara, O’Toole, Curley.
Cloncona: Bohan, Mitchell, Hearne, Keary, Costelloe, Gormally, Horan, Moran, Head.
Killeenamullan & Coolbaun: Whelan, Connors, Mannion, Dervan, Winters, Blaney, Coen, Barrett.
Ramore: Barrett, Hara.
Clarary: Fahy, Fergus, Conway, Connors, Bohan, Kane, Larkin.
Lisdeligna W.: Brien (John), Brien (Ellen?), Connaughtin, Burns/Larkin, Tracey, Larkin (Michael), Curley, Fahy, Cunniffe, Coughlan.
Lisdeligna E.: Monahan, Martyn, White, Kirwan.
Derrysiskle: Cunniffe, Moran, Bohan, Larkin.
Derrhue: Cloonan/Rock, Reilly (Mrs. Bgd.), Monahan, Broderick (Mary), Reilly (John), Kelly, Brien, Greally, Rock (John), Broderick (John), Broderick (Kate).
Kylecrow: Larkin/Kenny, Coughlan (Mary), Monahan, White, Lyons.
Clonoolish: Walshe, Dolan, Nevin (Mgt.),
L.C. & Killian: Nevin.
Lisaniska Lower: McEvoy, Hogan, Boland, Haverty, Lowry, Temple, Gibbons, Power, Briscoe, Conroy.
Lisaniska Upper: Campbell, Hobbs, Muldoon, Heagney, Callagy, Finnerty, Whelan, Malone, Callanan.
Derrada: Kelly, Daly.
Neale: Spring, Grady, Hara (Edw.), Hara (Ml.), Hara (Joanna), Hara (Anne).
Ahanduff & Sandymount: Killeen/Kennedy, Hannon/Hara, Lantry/Fennessy, Burke, Conway, Grady (Ml.), Nevin/Quigley, Mannion, Ryan, Lyons, Cunniffe.
Corr: Carty, Broderick, Holohan, Duffy, Hanney, Gallagher, Hayes, Forde, Callagy, Head.
Garryard & Kiltagour: Hanrahan (Ml.), Hanrahan (Martin), Dolan, Madden (Patrick), Madden (Andew), Holohan.
Garryard: McGann, Whyte, Tracey.
Killimor South: Flannery, Robinson, Ryan, Matthews, Wynne, Shiel, Cunniffe, (Duffy (Thos.), Cooney, Foley, Gilloway, Kirwan, Byrne, Soughley, Hobbs, Tracey, Carr, Miss Kelly, Brien, Duffy (Ml.), Toher, Madden, Holohan (Ml.).
Killimor North: Muldoon, O’Toole, Connors, Colgan, Hara, Curley, O’Meara (Ml.), Fitzpatrick, O’Meara (Vincent), Hobbs, Kelly, Stewart, Pender, Connaughton, Gibbs, Mason, Brody, Duffy, Saunders, Lantry, Dooley, Connaire, Whelan, Porter.
Memorials to Priests
Inscriptions on Memorials to priests interred in the Church grounds (with the exception of Fr. J.P. Callanan, read as follows:
Erected by the people of Killimor in memory of the Very Rev. J.P. Callanan P.P.V.F. who for over 25 years was the faithful pastor of Killimor and Tiernascragh. He died at Denver, U.S.A. on the 25th day of April 1923 in the 55th year of his age.
In memory of Rev. Hubert Brennan P.P. Killimor & Tiernascragh. Died 13-July 1929.
Erected in loving memory of Revd. Michael J Ryan C.C. Killimor who died 19th Feb. 1937. R.I.P.
In memory of Rev. J. Madden Killimor & Tiernascragh died 25 April 1951. R.I.P.
In ever loving memory of Father Patrick Abberton, P.P. Killimor March 1977. Died 5 February 1978.
In ever loving memory of Fr. Hugh Flynn P.P. Killimor. Died 3 July 1981.
In loving memory of V. Rev. John O’Connor D.C.L., parish priest Killimor 1951-1977
Died 30th August 1986 at Arus Vianney, Portiuncula Hospital.
In loving memory of Very Rev. John Solon, parish priest Killimor 1981—-1994 who died 5th Feb. 1994, aged 72 years.
In ever loving memory of Rev. Fr. Oliver Briscoe, Killimor, born Castletown 22nd April 1930. Ordained Carlow 6th January 1954. Died 28th May 2007.
Priests Interred in the Church
Senior citizens in the parish may recall three slabs in front of the altar, outside the altar rails, under which three parish priests were interred during the 19th century. These slabs commemorating the priests are no longer visible having been covered over during church renovations.
Fortunately the grave inscriptions were recorded so that these men will not be forgotten and there is now a commemoration plaque on the church wall with their names recorded on it. Rev. John Walsh, Rev. Malachy Green C.C., Rev. Michael Keating.
Corpus Christi Processions 1940s
This Church Festival celebrates the Blessed Eucharist as being the Body of Christ and is marked in many countries with a Procession in which the Consecrated Host is carried by a priest through the streets.
Each year the Procession took place in Killimor on the Feast of Corpus Christi, which was celebrated on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday. The congregation was marshalled into rows by stewards after the 11 o’clock Mass. The Sacred Host was placed in the monstrance by the priest, who then walked under a canopy which was borne by four men from the community. The Procession advanced from the church, led by some altar servers holding candlesticks with lighted candles, and followed by the men, women and children. Some children were dressed in their white First Communion or Confirmation dresses and veils, and preceded the priest. About six of them faced the Blessed Sacrament, walking backwards and strewing flower petals on the ground from small baskets. Eight members of the L.D.F.(or F.C.A.), carrying rifles, flanked the Blessed Sacrament, four on each side, while others paid their respect by carrying their flag and saluting the Blessed Sacrament. On leaving the church, the Procession walked down the main avenue, through the town and into the school-yard. While processing, the Rosary was recited and hymns were sung, and an aura of devotion permeated the whole atmosphere. Each house in the town was well prepared for the occasion and honoured the day by having a small altar, consisting of statues, holy images and vases of flowers in the window, doorway or outside on the footpath, as well as flying the Papal and National flags from the windows. A temporary altar was erected and decorated by members of the community at the front wall of the old school. On reaching the school-yard the people were marshalled into position each side of the yard, in the middle of which was a long mat stretching from the gate to the altar. The priest and his acolytes walked on this mat towards the altar. The priest then gave the Benediction, recited the Divine Praises, while the choir and congregation sang O Salutaris Hostia, Tantum Ergo and Adoremus. Other hymns sung included Soul of my Saviour, To Jesus’ Heart all-Burning, and Sweet Heart of Jesus. Having participated reverently, the congregation then dispersed.
The Procession leaving the church and coming out the main avenue led by some altar servers holding candle sticks with lighted candles, and followed by the men, women and children. One man carries a banner which reads: “COULD YOU NOT WATCH ONE HOUR WITH ME”. Family names in this photo include Colgan, Carr, Hanney, Power, Rocke, Reilly, Cunniffe, Haverty, Burke, and Connaughton.
The priest, carrying the Blessed Sacrament and shaded by a canopy, enters the school yard. He is preceded by First Communion and Confirmation children, about six of whom face the Blessed Sacrament, walking backwards and strewing flower pedals on the ground. Eight members of the Local Defence Force, carrying rifles, flank the Blessed Sacrament. All others attending are marshalled into position in the school yard.
The priest gives Benediction at a temporary altar erected and decorated by members of the community at the front wall of the old school (not seen in photo). Choir and congregation sing hymns and recite the Divine Praises.
The Curate’s House.
In his book Loughrea A Parish History Declan Kelly states that the Curate’s residence was built in Killimor during the tenure of Fr. Martin Charles O’Farrell 1913-1917. Curates in the parish occupied this house for many years. They then lived in Tiernascragh in purpose-built new accommodation. The house was eventually demolished and community houses are now built on the site.
St. Joseph’s Centre
This amenity is situated beside St. Joseph’s Church. The plaque on the wall to the right inside the main door states:
Officially blessed and opened by Bishop of Clonfert, John Kirby, Fr. Ciarán Kitching and Fr. Noel Lynch and all who gathered on Sunday August 5th, 2007. This centre, built by the people of the parish, is a place where wholeness is nurtured, hope is affirmed and Christ’s healing is made available to all who have need of it.
The Centre contains a Multi-Purpose & Meeting Room, a Meditation and Prayer Room, a Counselling Room, an Office, a Kitchen and Rest Rooms.
St. Joseph, the Worker, stands to the left, inside the main door of St. Joseph’s Centre. The statue, carved in oak by Vladimir Simik in Slovakia, was donated by Seán Treacy & Family (Treacy’s Public House, Killimor).
This image is on the wall of the main entrance to St. Joseph’s Centre. The statue, called “Respect”, was carved from bog oak and donated by Kieran Tuohy, shown here with his wife, Bernadette, née Moran of Derrysiskal, Killimor. The carving now stands in the Prayer/Meditation Room.
The window in the Prayer/Meditation Room was a gift from Joan Kinirons to St. Joseph’s Centre. It was erected in remembrance of her uncle Amby. “In loving memory of Ambrose Larkin, Derrysiskal – 22nd November 1903 – 17th May 1998.
The following tributes are recorded on the large window of the Multi-Purpose & Meeting Room.
Killimor Fás C.E. Team 2006 – 2007 agus i gcuimhne Tony Dervan 1948 – 2005
Tom Mullarkey 1938 – 2006
Members of Killimor Fás Community Employment Team did much of the work on the building under the supervision of Tony Dervan. Tom Mullarkey was the original architect but sadly passed away before St. Joseph’s Centre was completed.
This is an example of a certificate given by the church to children in the early part of the 20th century on the occasion of their First Holy Communion and Confirmation.
“Kathleen Heade received the first holy Communion
in Killimor on the 14th day of June in the year 1914
and was Confirmed 23rd May 1918”.
The sentence at the top of the certificate reads:
A PRECIOUS REMEMBRANCE TO A FAITHFUL SOUL
This is a copy of a Baptismal Certificate given out in 1937, in the Parish of Killimor and Tirnascragh, Diocese of Clonfert. It denotes that Brigid, daughter of Hugh Monahan and Brigid Lowry, was baptised according to the rites of the Catholic Church on the 9th day of January 1867. The name of the officiating priest is not given and one sponsor is named, Mrs. P. Monahan. The certificate was signed by J. Madden on 12th day of January 1937.
Certificates were given to all people who joined Killimor Branch of the Pioneer Total Abstinence Association of the Sacred Heart. This movement was founded in December 1898 by Fr. James A. Cullen, a Jesuit priest, in St. Francis Zavier Church, Gardiner St., Dublin. The aim was to address the problem of intemperance and alcohol abuse throughout the country. In the Register and Minute Book for Killimor Parish, the first entry was dated 15/2/1933. Patrick Grady got his certificate of membership on 20th March 1944, which was signed by A. Cummins C.C.
This certificate shows that William Barry (Ballinahiscragh) received his First Holy Communion in Killimore Church on 17th June 1906. The officiating priest was James Spelman, (Administrator 1906, 1907).
The Marriage Register was begun by Rev. Francis J. Coghlan P.P. and was called The Registry of Marriages for the United Parishes of Killimore & Tierenaschra 9th October 1831.
Opposite is a copy of the first page of the Register. Stipends paid by the couple to the officiating priest are recorded from October 1831 to February 1835 and then discontinued. These amounts varied from £1.5s.0d. upwards to £6.15s.0d. There are many entries of 5s.0d. which denoted the offering paid for a Marriage Certificate.
The page opposite denotes the marriages which took place in the months of February, March, April and May 1845.
All these records can now be viewed on line by Clicking HERE
Below is a sample page for the year 1883 showing some of the marriages in the months of January and February. The marriage register now gives the names of the witnesses as well as those of the bride and groom.
Statue of St. Joseph
This marble statue was recently installed in Killimor Church. It is a beautiful image of St. Joseph which welcomes parishioners and all visitors to St. Joseph’s Church.
Thanks to the La Sainte Union Sisters, Athlone, and to Sr. Austin Briscoe, who presented the statue to the parish. It may have come originally from one of the Sisters’ houses in France and was “resident” in the Bower Convent and Boarding School, Athlone, for a long time.
It was installed by Seán Treacy and his team, and was blessed by Fr. Ciarán Kitching, on April 30th, 2017.
Killimor town circa 1916
Some Births in the parish in 1916
Sister Mary Francis Mattimoe (Marie) was daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Mattimoe, Killimor. Mrs. Mattimoe later became Mrs. Austin O’Toole and was a teacher in Killimor Boys’ National School. Marie began her schooling in Killimor on 23rd April 1919, and her date of birth was given in the register as February 1916.
Sister Mary Pauline O’Connor (Margaret/Madge) was daughter of John and Mary O’Connor (née Duffy). She was born on 2nd September 1916. She entered the Convent of Mercy, Loughrea, on 22nd April, 1938. She passed away on 2nd December 2003, in Portiuncula Hospital, Ballinasloe, and was interred in the Convent Cemetery, Loughrea.
Mary Jane Duffy daughter of Edward and Bridget Duffy, Magheramore, Killimor, was born in 1916. Mary Jane married Paddy Joyce and lived most of her life in Recess, Connemara. She passed away in 2005.
Admissions of Females to School in 1916
Brien, Mary (Maureen), 10 April 1916, Lisduff.
Beegan, Elly, 30 May 1916, Eskerboy.
Coghlan, Annie, 30 May 1916, Oxgrove.
Clarke, Johanna, 08 November 1916, Ballycahill.
Finnerty, Mary, 16 May 1916, Heathlawn.
Finnerty, Winifred, 18 September 1916, Derrysiskil.
Finnerty, Mary, 18 September 1916, Derrysiskil.
Hanney, Mary, 25 May 1916, Kylemore.
Hanney, Emily B., 25 May 1916, Kylemore.
Hynes, Kathleen, 07 June 1916, Killimor.
Howe, Christina, 12 September 1916, Heathlawn.
Hanrahan, Agnes, 07 December 1916, Kyletagour.
Kirwan, Emily M., 03 April 1916, Killian.
Kelly, Elly, 25 September 1916, Moate.
Madden, Tessie, 12 October 1916, Eskerboy.
MannionMargaret, 21 September 1916, Killimor
McEvoy, Mary E., 16 May 1916, Lisaniska.
Soughley, Margaret, 11 April 1916, Killimor.
Wynne, Kitty, 01 May 1916, Killimor.
Winters, Annie, 22 September 1916, Ramore.
Winters, Kathleen, 03 October 1916, Ramore.
Johanna Clarke, Ballycahill transferred from Gortanumera School.
Winifred and Mary Finnerty, Derrysiskil transferred from Leitrim School.
Christina Howe transferred from Portumna School.
Margaret Mannion transferred from Tiernascragh School.
Annie and Kathleen Winters transferred from Coolagh School.
The list of Male Admissions to School in 1916 could not be located.
Royal Irish Constabulary Personnel who served in Killimor 1910-1920
Mullooly, 1910; Scully, 1910; Hynes, 1912; Pender, 1914;
Mattimoe, 1915; Wynne, 1916; Byrne 1920; Colgan, 1920.
Very Rev. John Callanan, P.P., 1899 – 1922
John P. Callanan, when he was aged thirty eight years, sailed on the Cedric from Queenstown and arrived in New York on 23rd February 1906. He was described on the ship’s manifesto as a clergyman whose last residence was in Killimore. He paid his own passage and had over $50 in his possession. He was never before in the United States and was going to St. Benedict Rectory, Morris Park, Long Island. According to Church records he was parish priest in Killimore between 1899 and 1922. He is reputed to have solved some issues relating to the division of land at that time in Killimore parish. His exalted character and high sense of justice are mentioned in a local newspaper The Connacht Tribune of April 2nd 1910. He died in Denver, Colorado, on 25th April 1923, at a relatively young age and is buried in the United States. He is commemorated by a headstone in the grounds of St. Joseph’s Church, Killimor.
Killimor Curate in 1916
His connection with the 1916 Rising
Fr. Martin Charles O’Farrell, well known for his nationalist views and strong preaching, was born at Ballymanagh House, Craughwell, in December 1879. He was ordained in Maynooth in 1906. He served as curate in Killimor 1912 – 1916. His nationalist leanings and concern over land division became evident in Killimor when the Town Tenants’ League was formed to pursue the rights of the townspeople to ownership of land. At a meeting of the Town Tenants League, held in the Town Hall, on 9th May 1912, the Connacht Tribune of 18th May 1912 states that Fr. O’Farrell informed the meeting “that Rusheeny grass farm was secured for Killimore town tenants, the grazing of which was arranged to the satisfaction of all parties”.
A series of articles, written by Martin Dolan following his interviews with the Galway Volunteers of 1916, was published in the Connacht Tribune in 1966. One article states that on the Wednesday of the Easter Rising, out of concern for the mobilised men of Easter 1916 in the Craughwell area, Fr. O’Farrell set out from Killimor in an effort to dissuade them from further participation in the Rising. In a witness statement, (Document NO. W.S. 1061, Bureau of Military History, 1913-1921). Laurence Flynn of Lisafooka, Loughrea, states that he was recruited into the Irish Volunteers during the week before the Rising. He gives the following account of Fr. O’Farrell’s journey to Moyode:
During Ester Week 1916 Fr. O’Farrell, C.C., Killimor, who was a great friend of mine, came to me at my home in Lisafooka. He said he wished to get to Moyode if possible as Loughrea was full of British forces – and that the Volunteers in Moyode would be surrounded. I cannot remember exactly what day of Easter Week that was but as far as I can recollect it was Wednesday. Father O’Farrell said he wanted to get some ruse to pass the British Military in Loughrea and asked me to accompany him. We both went on push bicycles to Loughrea and when we were halted by a sentry in Main St. Fr. O’Farrell told the sentry that he was going on a sick call with me. We were allowed to pass by the sentry and then Fr. O’Farrell told me to return home as he was going to stay the night at his own home which was in the direction of Moyode. I went to my own home by another route (the Bullaun road) and arrived safely.
The following Friday Fr. O’Farrell, accompanied on a motor-cycle by Fr. Tom Fahy, overtook the Volunteers at Limepark. Fr. O’Farrell, aware of destruction of Dublin and the position of the poorly armed Volunteers, waved his arms and cried out “Ye’re going to your deaths. Ye will all be killed”. Fr. O’Farrell subsequently served in the parishes of Eyrecourt, Ballinakill, Kilrickle and Leitrim.
Sergeant Michael Thomas Soughley
The Soughley family were associated with Killimor for four hundred years according to
Fr. P. K. Egan in his book The Parish of Ballinasloe (1960). In the 1880s Frank Soughley married Margaret Conroy, from Moorefield in the parish of Quansboro/Fahy and raised a family of eight children. Mick, born in 1890, was the eldest member of the family. He was a monitor in Killimor Boys’ National School and later went on to join the Dublin Metropolitan Police. His official name was Michael Thomas Soughly. He was appointed to the DMP on November 20th 1911, having been recommended by James McDermott, J.P. Killimore. His warrant number was 11069. He was promoted to the office of sergeant on July 17th 1925, and became station sergeant on May 12th 1939. He gave a total of thirty six years and one hundred and sixty four days “Exemplary Service” to the DMP. Mick passed away on October 1st 1959. When he retired he was a sergeant in Kilmainham Garda Station. Mick witnessed some historical events during his lifetime. During the Easter Rising in 1916, the police were confined to their stations, but Mick being stationed close to Kilmainham Jail heard the shots of the firing squads during the Rising. According to his family he was the officer chosen to inform Mrs. Clarke that her husband, Tom, (a signatory of the 1916 Proclamation) was to be executed. He also accompanied Grace Gifford from her home to Kilmainham Jail, for her marriage to Joseph Mary Plunkett (poet and also a signatory of the 1916 Proclamation) just before her fiance’s execution.
James Murray and the Easter Rising 1916
James (Jim/Jimmy) Murray was born in Derrydonnell, Athenry. He joined the Irish Volunteers in November 1914. He is listed as one of “The Twelve Apostles of Athenry” who were imprisoned for taking part in the 1916 Rising in Co. Galway. Afterwards he participated in the Civil War. He served prison sentences in England and in the Curragh.
The Killimor Connection
James Murray’s daughter, Mary Carrier, states: “He took a job working on the roads and happened to drive a steam roller into Killimor. He frequented Curley’s and Fitzpatrick’s and became very friendly with May and soon a relationship developed between the two”. May and Jim married, lived in America and raised their family there. They and their children visited Killimor frequently down through the years. May and Jim were predeceased by their son, John F. who passed away in June 1993. James Murray died in February 1988 aged 94. May Fitzpatrick/Murray died in April 1993 aged 89. A second son, Séamus, passed away in El Paso, Texas, in 1999 aged 65. The parents and their two sons are interred in Killimor Old Cemetery.
The Murrays and Friends
Back L. to R. Tommy Sheridan, Mrs. Connors, Margaret McClearn (Heathlawn), May Fitzpatrick/Murray (Killimor),
Middle: Jim (James) Murray, Anna McClearn (Heathlawn), Florence Gilchrist (whose mother was Hara from Neale), Mrs. Sheridan (formerly Gertie Keary, Kylemore), A. N. Other, Margaret Treacy (Heathlawn), Johnny Connors, Winnie Treacy (Heathlawn), Joe Tierney (Heathlawn),
Front: Mary Murray, Pakie Grady (Neale).
This photograph was taken in America in the 1960s.
Memorials to Murray Family in the Old Cemetery, Killimor
Boot and Shoe Repairs in 1916
These are pages from an old Passbook belonging to the Flannerys who were shoemakers, and which dates from late 1914 to 1918. The Passbook reflects a wide range of customers, and the economy and thrift practised in those years when people had their boots and shoes repaired so they would last for a long time. Most names recorded in the Passbook are long gone from Killimor. Customers included McDermotts, Ruddens, Matthews, Pelleys, Tierneys, Kearys, Whelans, Greallys, Clarkes, Conroys, Horsemans, and Ryans of the Post Office and their relations the Foleys. Flannerys had their own unique way of documenting customers with entries such as “David’s new boots” which cost 17s., “Essie’s boots soled” for 1s.3d., “Young Dervan” soled and heeled for 4s., “Young Whelan reps” for 6d. and “Young Penders reps” for 1s.3d. The months of October, November, December and January were the busiest time of the year when most repairs were done.
The pages displayed show “Master’s Boots soled and heeled”, the Master in question was the local school headmaster, Johnny Robinson. Ellie Larkin and M. Larkin were Johnny Robinson’s relations who resided with him. Mr. Hickie and Miss Hickie came from the McDermott family in Ramore. The second page documents the accounts of Mrs. Matthews and her family.
Mrs. Julia Griffin’s Ledger 1916
This is a page from one of Mrs. Julia Griffin’s ledgers. The account book, or ledger, covers the years 1911 to 1924. The accounts were written in pen and ink or indelible pencil. She stocked a wide range of goods such as the staple foods, animal feeds, household necessities, drapery, footwear, hardware and religious objects. Loose slips of paper, found in the ledger, indicate that Julia Griffin held an account with one of her own customers, Martin Connaire. Martin was a local blacksmith who shod trap and dray wheels, repaired the trap, made wheel rims and shoes for the ass and pony, and even painted eave-chute holdfasts for her. The page shows that Mrs. Julia Griffin settled her account with Martin Connaire in November 1916.